On Thursday, three weeks away from the operation, me and Mr F are going to see my breast surgeon, Dr John Thomson at Randwick. This is our chance to get more prepared for what’s about to come.
This is the first time Mr F has come to one of my appointments. Not that he wouldn’t have if I’d asked, but to be honest, I’ve not wanted to waste his time with A LOT of appointments. So I went and updated him afterwards. But as this next next chapter effects us both hugely, hopefully, going to the remaining appointments together will ensure we’re on the same page and that we’re doing this as a team (for which, I thank my lucky stars, every day).
Now the hard questions have already been asked and answered along the way; Do I think this is a good idea? Do I need to remove fat from my belly or back as part of the reconstruction? Do I want one operation or two? And do I want to keep my nipples? Just a couple of small considerations… But with those out the way, we need to ask the seemingly, simple questions.
Me and Mr F are pretty different people and we have incredibly different ways of thinking about things, so we’ve each both pulled together our checklist of questions to ensure we have as few surprises as possible in about 4 weeks time. Some are a bit frank, for which I apologise in advance.They also are pretty reflective of our personalities. I realise that some of mine may seem a bit futile in the grand scheme of things, but those who know me will understand I’ll be keen to be up and running ASAP. I’ll report back in a couple of days to let you know the answers.
- What do I need to stop doing before the surgery?
- How long will it be before I can exercise?
- When can I walk? And then when can I ride a bike?
- If I can’t use my upper body, could I do squats / use resistance bands?
- What can I do early on to get movement back in my arm?
- What do you suggest I do if I get my period in the first two weeks following surgery?
- Am I able to go to the toilet alone?
Mr F’s Questions
- What levels of bruising should we expect and what is too much?
- What are the potential injuries that might happen during healing process i.e. minor tears or over stretching?
- How best to stop any post op infections?
- What things will she realistically be able to do and what won’t she?
- What things will I have to help with?
- What’s a realistic distance to travel and how soon after?